I’ve always been very fond of my Black Templars, which is more than likely born of my love of medieval and fantasy which has been with me since I was old enough to swing a wooden sword about! These guys are the 41st millennium’s answer to the Knights Templar (without the somewhat dubious history…), on a never ending crusade to rid the galaxy of aliens and heretics alike in tabards bearing the Emperor’s cross. Epic!
After hearing rumours of a new Space Marine Codex and that instead of their own separate refresh, Black Templars were being included in that, I was somewhat worried! However after listening to 40k Radio’s recent pod cast, in my opinion it looks like Black Templars are becoming a bit more versatile whilst still retaining what sets them apart from other Space Marines. Plus, like them or hate them, I can’t wait to add some bad ass Centurions to my Black Templar army!
Anyways, here’s a summary of what to expect from the new Black Templar rules:
All Space Marine chapters now have access to their own combat doctrines, with Black Templars having the following rules that are always active:
– Accept Any Challenges, No Matter the Odds: When engaged in a challenge, Black Templar Characters reroll all failed to-hit rolls and have the Rending Special Rule.
– Crusaders: Black Templars have the Crusader and Adamantium Will Special Rules. In addition Black Templars have access to a special unit called a Crusader Squad.
Overall Templars have lost the following:
– All the Vows
– Marshalls and Castellans
– Terminator Command Squads
– Master of Sanctity/Reclessiarch
– Sword Brethren units
– 2 heavy weapons in a 5 man Terminator Squad 🙁
– Special rule upgrades (Tank Hunter , Furious Charge etc.)
– Storm Shields on Assault Squads
– Additional power weapons in a bike squad
– Fearless rule in close combat
– Righteous Zeal
– Heavy weapons are an additional 5 points
– Power of the Machine Spirt upgrade
But they’ve gained so much more:
– Chapter Master and Captains
– Honor Guard
– Normal Chaplains
– Master of the Forge
– Tactical Squads
– Scout Squads
– Land Speeder Storm
– Vanguard Veterans
– Sternguard Veterans
– Ironclad Dreadnoughts
– Scout Bikes
– Devastator squads
– Land Raider Redeemer
– Thunderfire Cannon
– Crusader Squad keeps Land Raider Crusader as a Dedicated Transport
– Initiates are now 5 points cheaper and gain Ffrag and Kkrak grenade
– Sword Brother option in Crusader Squad
– One Initiate can still take a Power Weapon/Fist
– Neophyte leadership increased to Ld 8
– Neophyte Shotguns S4
– Crusader Squads can still take pistols and chainswords
– Crusader Squads can still be made up of Initiates and Neophytes
– He’s 5 points more
– He gains +1 WS
– Rites of Battle have been removed
– Crusade of Wrath: Once per game, during the Assault Phase, all models with the Black Templar Chapter Tactics gain Hatred and Fleet until the end of the phase.
– Sword of the High Marshalls stays the same i.e. +D3 attacks on the charge
There you have it! I really think Black Templars have done well out of the new codex – what does everybody else think?